Mechanicsburg Borough Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4)
The goals of all MS4s programs and Mechanicsburg Borough are to reduce the discharge of pollutants from the township, to protect water quality and to satisfy requirements of the Clean Water Act. Mechanicsburg Borough would like you to remember that the water and any items that go into a storm sewer go directly into streams. This water is not cleaned in any way and does not go to the waste water treatment plant. Mechanicsburg Borough needs all of its residents to assist us in keeping our storm water and storm water sewer system clean by doing the following:
- Dispose of water properly
- Clean up after your pets
- Use fertilizers properly and efficiently to prevent excess runoff
- Store materials that could pollute storm water indoors
- Keep grass cutting off of the street
What Residents can help watch for:
- Sediment leaving a construction site in stormwater
- Spills (Chemical, Gas, Oil)
- Illegal dumping activity into streams or storm sewers (PLEASE CALL 911 FIRST)
- Dry weather flows from outfall pipes into streams (72 hours after a rain storm)
Please monitor storm water inlets near your property. Residents may be the first to recognize “illicit” discharges dumping into storm sewers or coming out of from storm sewer outfalls.
If you see an “illicit” discharge please contact Borough Staff at 717-691-3310.